Matthew 28:19 – “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.”
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 @ 6:00 p.m. Pt. 2
Rev. Craig B. Campbell, Pastor/Teacher
“Desperate and Determined” – Mark 10:46-52
Background: In Mark 10 Jesus is making his way from Jericho to Jerusalem. However, he stops in Jericho for a little while, but the text doesn’t really tell us what he does while he’s in Jericho. Moreover, on his way out of Jericho; he runs into a blind beggar by the name of Bartimaeus. Brothers and sisters, this event is a distinctive turning point in the Gospel of Mark and in the ministry of Jesus Christ our Lord, and in the life of this blind beggar. In a few days and in the very next chapter, Jesus will make his Triumphal Entry, his ceremonial, his commemorative, his victory entry into Jerusalem riding on a donkey. In just a few days, it will be Palm Sunday and God will be ushering in a new kingdom and a new era, and a new moment. In just a few days God is about to do his thing in the world. In just a few days Jesus will make his way into Jerusalem and you know the story, the crowds will gather there and they will shout “Hosanna blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.”
WE MUST LIVE A LIFE OF FAITH AND ACTION!
Review Mark 10:47-48
- We must come to Jesus and ask for help.
IGNORE THE NAYSAYERS
- How do define a naysayer?
- When the devil tries to shut you up what do you do?
- What does praise do to the enemy?
NOTE: Don’t allow anyone to tell you that Jesus cannot do anything for your situation.
- Some people in the Christian church do not really encourage other people. Sometimes other people who are not Christians encourage us more!
GOD SAW A NEED (Review Mark 10:49-51)
- Why was important for Bartimaeus to throw aside his garment?
- What does his garment represents?
GEM: There are some things that you do not need to carry over into your future.
NOTE: When Bartimaeus got to Jesus, Jesus asked him one question: "What do you want Me to do for you?"
- Bartimaeus answer was confident: Master, let me receive my sight?
- What are some ways you can make your declaration known to God?
- Do you trust God to fulfill/answer your declarations?
FOLLOW JESUS (Review Mark 10:52)
The Bible said that immediately Bartimaeus received his sight and began to follow Jesus.
- Don't get a touch from God and then say, "See you later, God.
- Bartimaeus used his sight to walk behind Jesus. He followed Jesus.
- Jesus has not come to bestow power and honor but to open eyes to the new spiritual, social, and material realities made possible when God reigns.
STEPS TO FOLLOW JESUS
Be destined and determined.
Be bold like Bartimaeus.
Choose to ignore those that would shut you up.
Call out to Jesus with all your heart.
Follow Him with determination.
Seek His goodness and favor.
Receive all He has for you. He's calling you to great things.